You know when you're at a party or holiday and there is a cake there.. you see someone slide that knife into the cake ready to start passing it out to everyone .. you pause in your mind to think about what your excuse for not eating it will be .. then, it comes. They offer you your slice of cake … then you reply with '' no thanks i'm on a diet '' or '' just a sliver '' … YEAH ME NEITHER. Honestly if cake is involved, that usually entails some type of celebration in which case you should really just enjoy the freakin' cake ok ? Now that I got that out of the way , I really want to point something out to you guys about cake …. and about all foods wrongfully accused of being bad for you.. it's not CAKE that is unhealthy , it's what the cake is made of ! Sure you can make a cake with mountains of refined sugar, a pound of butter , shortening, refined flour and all that … but you can also make a cake without any of that .. and it will still be a cake and it will still be delicious. Let me introduce you to this gorgeous HEALTHY dark chocolate fig cake.
I am always inspired by seasonal fruit ( and always inspired by chocolate, duh) .. I saw figs at the store and I literally had a vision of this cake. It's moist , rich, and intensely chocolatey thanks to a little espresso powder .. a secret ingredient that enhances chocolate anything! The ganache is silky smooth and it's brimming with fresh figs and REAL 100% dark chocolate pieces. The best part about this cake ? It is 100% junk free... seriously , cake can be nutritious and this is the proof ! It is made without ANY gluten, dairy, refined sugar, or hydrogenated oils and the ingredients used are healthy and nutrient dense. How impressed would everyone be if you brought this to the next holiday ? BETTER YET ... when they tell you they don't want a slice because they are on a diet .... you can tell them it's healthy ! You can use any fruit for this recipe .. berries would be amazing too !
3 cups almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 tsp instant espresso powder
1 tsp vanilla bean powder (or extract)
3/4 cup cacao powder (different than cocoa*)
1 pinch of sea salt
2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup raw honey or maple syrup (more if you like it sweeter*)
3 large eggs
1/2 cup melted ghee or coconut oil
3/4 cup coconut milk (canned, full fat !*)
6oz unsweetened dark chocolate
1-2 tbsp. maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a round pan with parchment paper , if you have a springform pan use that and grease it with coconut oil.
2. Combine dry ingredients and set aside
3. Beat together wet ingredieents until well incorporated.
4. Combine the wet and dry mixtures using a paddle attachment on medium speed, if using a whisk just incorporate but don't over mix !
5. Pour into prepared pan and bake for approx. 40 min. (until a toothpick comes out clean!)
6. LET IT COOL before you proceed with any decorating
7. While the cake is cooling make ganache by melting together unsweetened chocolate, a tablespoon of maple syrup and coconut cream in a saucepan on low heat until nicely combined.
8. When cake has cooled , spread ganache evenly over top of cake and decorate with whatever fruit you choose .. highly recommend figs !
Serving suggestion - Amazing to eat plain, with a dollop of plain or vanilla yogurt on top , whipped cream if you prefer, or nut butter !
*must be full fat, helps bring moisture to the cake.
*cacao is cold processed and does taste/act slightly differently in baking than cocoa.
*I personally don't like things too sweet, taste a little batter and judge if you'd like more sweetness or not.. use a full 1/2 cup of honey if you prefer.
Mindful Gourmet !